Monday, November 25, 2013

This is news?

A story was posted today on Yahoo! News about how more employers are passing higher costs of health care on to their employees.

For me, personally, this story comes about two years too late.

Beginning in 2011 the insurance premium I paid through my employer rose by 100 percent.

That's right. Within months of the Affordable Care Act becoming law, my premium doubled.

And it has remained just as high ever since.

Frankly, I dislike the phrase "See, I told you so," but this is one of those moments. I wrote a couple of years back about the likely consequences of Obamacare, and increased costs to the consumer was one of them.

I said back then that I am waiting skeptically for the "affordable" part of the ACA to kick in. Now, it looks like "affordable" will be more oxymoronish of the law rather than an integral part of it.

Fundamental economics teaches us that when demand for a product or service increases, the cost of said product or service for sale on the market also increases. This is particularly true for more "affordable" health plans; the supply of which remains dismally small.

In fact, when shopping for "affordable" health plans on my state insurance exchange web site, I found no individual or family plan below $300 a month in premium. Even the most basic plans with high deductibles were well over $300 a month.

How is this affordable for the average American household already struggling to meet expenses?

My advice is not to wait with bated breath for health care coverage to become more "affordable," in spite of what the President's law says. You may otherwise pass out from asphyxiation.

Talk is cheap, after all. Until I see the "affordable" side of things, I remain skeptical that Obamacare is a real fix to the problem of rising health care costs, and more convinced than ever that it was snake oil sold by a travelling charlatan, who just happens to have hung his hat at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue until January 2017.

No comments: